Career Exploration Preparation
The following is a list of questions you may ask your career exploration professional.
- A Little History of Career or Field - How has the field evolved--past, present, and looking into the future?
- Roles and Responsibilities - What do you do? Who do you work with? What do you like best about your job?
- Personal Attributes - What kind of personal traits, interests, and styles match this job?
- Career Ladder - What does the career ladder in your field look like from entry jobs to professional levels?
- Education Requirements and Opportunities - What is the basic education and training required for entry to professional levels? What education or training is needed or available to advance and grow in the field?
- Technology - How does technology impact and serve as a tool in your job and in the field in general?
- Related Jobs and Careers - What other jobs and careers could you go into? What other industries or fields could you work in?
- Learning More About This Career - What volunteer/internship or work experience would help me learn more? What studies, classes, degrees, and training programs would you suggest?
- Professional’s Experience - What do you value and enjoy about your job or career? How does your job or career impact being a parent or family member? Has the job or career helped you make a difference in your community?
- Money Questions - It is okay to ask questions about salary range for the position. You may also want some information on how they financed their Masters degree.
- Personal Questions - If you choose to ask the professional personal questions, accept what the professional is comfortable sharing with you.